Tag Archives: Mobile Notary Public

All About ID’s Needed for Notary Documents

1 May


  • When completing a certificate of acknowledgment or a jurat, a notary public is required to certify to the identity of the signer of the document. (Civil Code sections 1185(a), 1189, Government Code section 8202)
  • Identity is established if the notary public is presented with satisfactory evidence of the signer’s identity. (Civil Code section 1185(a))
  • Satisfactory Evidence may include (A) Identification, (B) the oath of a single credible witness, or (C) the oaths of two credible witnesses. Most people use identification to satisfy the requirement. The oath of a credible witness is not normally used because the notary must know the witness and the person who is getting the notary. If the document signer does not have an identification, the oaths of two witnesses known to the document signer can be used in place of identification. The witnesses need their current non-expired id’s and must sign the notary book. under penalty of perjury.

Identification Documents

Identification Documents – The notary public can establish the identity of the signer using identification documents as follows (Civil Code section 1185(b)(3) and (4)):

1. There is reasonable reliance on any one of the following forms of identification, provided it is current or was issued within 5 years:

a. An identification card or driver’s license issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles;

b. A United States passport;

c. An inmate identification card issued by the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, if the inmate is in custody in California state prison;

d. Any form of inmate identification issued by a sheriff’s department, if the inmate is in custody in a local detention facility;


2. Other id’s must contains a photograph, description of the person, signature of the person, and an identifying number:

(a) A valid consular identification document issued by a consulate from the applicant’s country of citizenship, or a valid passport from the applicant’s country of citizenship;

(b) A driver’s license issued by another state or by a Canadian or Mexican public agency authorized to issue driver’s licenses;

(c) An identification card issued by another state;

(d) A United States military identification card (caution: current military identification cards might not contain all the required information);

(e) An employee identification card issued by an agency or office of the State of California, or an agency or office of a city, county, or city and county in California.

NEW: (f) An identification card issued by a federally recognized tribal government.

 For more information, visit the Secretary of State website at www.sos.ca.gov

Steve thesandiegomobilenotary.com

For more information, you can click on the following links: